1. Please see Facebook group created for Dr Sarwar – http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=167411502891 – we hope this will be useful for interactions and discussions
2. On Sept 16 , a meeting was held at Dr Sarwar’s residence. The agenda included commemorating Jan 8, 2010; a book that SM Naseem has proposed; and the think tank idea floated by F.G Ebrahim at the May 31st meeting at PMA house.
Participants: S. M. Naseem, Iqbal Alavi, Zain Alavi, Mazhar Saeed, Saleem Asmi, Dr Haroon Ahmed, Aisha Gazdar, Asif Saad, Zakia Sarwar, Beena Sarwar
- Need to work towards holding an event on Jan 8, 2010 in Karachi (doesn’t have to be limited to Karachi of course) to highlight the importance of the student movement and its impact. Involve like-minded progressive institutions and youth groups
- A proposed book in English and Urdu on the ‘Life and times of Dr Sarwar’ outlined by SM Naseem.
- Strengthen and support Irtiqa Institute of Social Sciences, which was inaugurated on Jan 8 1994 and has held events on Jan 8th for several years. Participants of the meeting agreed that this would make more sense rather than start a new progressive think tank as suggested at the May 31st memorial in Karachi.
Comments, feedback and suggestions welcome.
Filed under: Dr Sarwar legacy Tagged: | 1950s student movement, aisha gazdar, asif saad, beena sarwar, Black Day Jan 8 1953, Demands Day, Dr Haroon Ahmed, Fakhruddin G. Ebrahim, hamza foundation, Hilda Saeed, iqbal alavi, irtiqa institute, jan 1953, Mazhar Saeed, police brutality, S. M. Naseem, Saleem Asmi, Zain Alavi, Zakia Sarwar